West Point senior says he's innocent

West Point - The senior cadet accused of raping two former U.S. Military Academy students while away on leave last year told the Times Herald-Record he has done nothing wrong.

In an e-mail response to questions, Lonnie A. Story wrote: "I am innocent." He did not elaborate.

His Washington, D.C.-based attorney, David P. Sheldon, said yesterday, "Cadet Story is not guilty of the charges that have been brought against him, and he will vigorously defend the charges."

On Thursday, West Point officials charged Story with two counts of rape stemming from incidents in January and October of 2005.

The victims were two female cadets who have since left West Point.

A source close to the investigation said the first alleged incident took place in Fishkill on Jan. 22 of last year.

The second, on Oct. 23, was in New York City, the source said.

Story, of Poplar Bluff, Mo., will face a pretrial investigation, similar to a civilian grand jury, to determine if his case should go to a court-martial.

He is the third West Point cadet in about a year to be accused of sexual impropriety and the latest in a string of male students at the nation's military academies to face sexual assault charges.