Can a military appeal end up in federal court? | Law Offices of David P. Sheldon
Law Offices of David P. Sheldon
Worldwide Representation

Can a military appeal end up in federal court?

In previous posts, we've discussed the unique aspects of the military justice system. However, readers should be aware that service members might also seek relief in federal courts, under certain circumstances.

Specifically, a federal court may have the authority to set aside a decision from the Discharge Review Board (DRB) or the Board for Correction of Military Records (BCMR). Before that stage, however, a service member may be required to exhaust his or her administrative remedies. That administrative record will play an important role in the federal court's review, and is an important reminder of the importance of skilled legal representation even during the administrative phase.

My law practice focuses on military law, and I have litigation experience in a variety of federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. That military law experience allows me to better anticipate potential issues that should be preserved for an appeal, even while a case is pending before the DRB or BCMR. My experience also allows me to better assess a service member's chances of a successful appeal. Jurisdiction in federal court may require identifying an appealable error in the lower court's decision.

Finally, following proper court procedures can be vital. For example, each of the military services has a DRB, and appeals can be requested using DOD Form 293. However, a DRB generally cannot hear medical discharges. In addition, discharges more than 15 years old may have to go to the BCMR via DoD Form 149. Check out my firm's website for more information on military appeals and the various options for changing or reversing an adverse decision.

Source:, "Discharge Review Boards"

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

David P. Sheldon | International Military Law Attorney

For more information, or a free consultation, contact the Law Offices of David P. Sheldon, online or call us at 202-552-0018 or 877-314-1665 toll free.

Office Location

100 M Street SE, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20003

Toll Free: 877-314-1665
Phone: 202-552-0018
Fax: 202-546-0135
Map & Directions

Take The First Step with
a Free Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response