Need to appeal your UCMJ case? Know the rules. | Law Offices of David P. Sheldon
Law Offices of David P. Sheldon
Worldwide Representation

Need to appeal your UCMJ case? Know the rules.

Like in the civilian criminal justice system, there is an appeals process for contesting most court-martial convictions. Like in a court-martial, a servicemember appealing a court-martial conviction will be appointed a military lawyer but may also hire a civilian defense lawyer.

This blog post will provide a broad overview of the appeals process under the UCMJ.

Trial Review

In military court, the trial is reviewed in several ways depending mostly on the severity of the sentence imposed.

The first step after a conviction is clemency. Specifically, the convicted servicemember may submit clemency matters to the commanding general. Note, though, that Congress recently reduced the extent to which a commanding general may grant clemency. Following clemency comes the appeals process.

The Appeals Process

After clemency, a servicemember convicted in a court-martial may turn to his or her branch's appellate court (for example, the Army Court of Criminal Appeals or ACCA). Those courts review convictions for legal and factual sufficiency as well as various other errors that may have prejudiced the case. If a servicemember does not get full relief from that court, he or she may then appeal to the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (CAAF).

Unlike each service's appellate court, CAAF does not automatically review appeals. Instead, that court chooses whether or not to review a particular case. An appellant must convince the court that there is good reason for it to do so. If the court agrees, it will then allow the appellant to submit a full appeal, after which the government will file a response. Each service's appellate court as well as CAAF have significant power in reviewing a case and, among other things, can dismiss charges or order a rehearing.

If still unsatisfied with the results after appealing to CAAF, a servicemember may, depending on the case, be able to file appeal to the Supreme Court. Of course, the Supreme Court receives many petitions and only grants a small number for review.

Other forms of clemency

Aside from appealing for clemency from the commanding general, a service member may be able to file for clemency in other ways as well, including from his or her confinement facility if confined. Further, depending on the facts of a specific case, seeking a pardon or relief from the Board for Corrections of Military Records may also be an avenue worth pursuing.

Each Appeals Case Is Different

The entire appellate process can be long and complex and varies from case to case. If you want to fight a court-martial conviction, attorneys at the Law Offices of David P. Sheldon, PLLC, have significant experience doing so and will gladly consult you on your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

David P. Sheldon | International Military Law Attorney

For more information, or a free consultation, contact the Law Offices of David P. Sheldon, online or call us at 202-552-0018 or 877-314-1665 toll free.

Office Location

100 M Street SE, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20003

Toll Free: 877-314-1665
Phone: 202-552-0018
Fax: 202-546-0135
Map & Directions

Take The First Step with
a Free Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response