Involuntary Administrative Separation/Show Cause Boards/Boards of Inquiry

While you won’t face the possibility of conviction or confinement, you will face the possibility of being fired from the military and separated with an Honorable, General Under Honorable Conditions, or Other Than Honorable discharge, which can result in the loss of benefits.

You can be involuntarily separated for a variety of things: misconduct, criminal conviction, unsatisfactory performance, failing to meet physical fitness or weight standards, drug or alcohol rehabilitation failure, or having a physical or mental health condition that interferes with your ability to perform your duties.

Your entitlement to a board depends on how much time you have in service and the recommended characterization of service. If you are entitled to a board, then you are entitled to legal representation at the hearing, which is a trial-like process, but the standard of proof is only a preponderance of the evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt.

I can’t thank Attorney Sheldon enough for his work on my case in obtaining my security clearance. I was facing an administrative discharge board due to the security issue. He was able to get another review of the facts and . . . I was granted a clearance.

Now all those sleepless nights, the worries, and stress are gone. Again THANK YOU from my wife and 3 daughters.

- SSgt B.