Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty

When separating from the military, it is vital that the reason for separation and your characterization of military service be accurately reflected on your DD 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty).


Applying To Your Service’s DRB

If you believe either the reason for separation or characterization of service is incorrect, you can apply to your service’s DRB for a review of your case. A DRB can upgrade your discharge and/or change the reason for your separation.

However, a DRB cannot change a reenlistment code, restore you to active duty, or review a punitive discharge from a general court-martial. DRBs have a time limit of 15 years from the date of discharge.

While veterans can apply to a DRB on their own, it is better for veterans to seek help with a DRB application from an experienced attorney like those in the Law Offices of David P. Sheldon, PLLC.

Mr. Sheldon came highly recommended by a fellow Public Health Service (PHS) officer. After initial discussion he immediately reviewed my case and provided me with a clear pathway. I retained Mr. Sheldon’s firm to apply to the PHS Board of Corrections to obtain adjudication of my rightful promotion. His knowledge of the law, the system and prior cases is phenomenal. His team worked efficiently, diligently and we were able to get a successful outcome. I would highly recommend him to any uniformed service person.