Dylan Thayer joined the Law Offices of David P. Sheldon in 2023. He received his Juris Doctorate from Vanderbilt Law School in 2019 and his Bachelor of Arts from Hamilton College in 2013. Dylan is admitted in the state of New York and the District of Columbia.
While at Vanderbilt, Dylan excelled in litigation and trial advocacy, most notably during his tenure as President of the Mock Trial Board.
David Sheldon began his over 25-year career as a military defense lawyer in the U.S. Navy. In four years of naval service, he built a distinguished record representing officers and enlisted members before the U.S. Navy-Marine Corps Court of Military Review, the Court of Military Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Sheldon launched his civilian career in 1994, earning a national reputation as an expert in military defense. Today, he frequently provides comments and analysis on high-profile military cases for CNN, NBC, CBS, and ABC television news and National Public Radio. Mr. Sheldon represents members of every branch of the armed services and the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service.
As the lead military defense lawyer in numerous high-profile cases, he has successfully defended soldiers, sailors, and airmen of every rank and stature. While some of the more highly publicized cases are a matter of record, far more have been won without highly visible media coverage. Mr. Sheldon takes great pride in that fact; often clients are best served by avoiding the glare of the media.
Areas of Practice
- Military Law
- Military Defense
- Administrative Discharge Reviews
- Corrections of Military Records
- Security Clearances
- Medical Malpractice at Military Facilities
- University of Montana School of Law, Missoula, Montana
- Juris Doctor – 1990
- Law Review: University of Montana, Co-Editor
- University of Montana, Montana
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Institute of Military Justice, Board of Advisors
- American Association for Justice
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Judge Advocates Association
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. Navy, 1991 – 1994
- Feldesman, Tucker, Leifer, Fidell and Bank LLP, 1994 – 2001
Back to Team